Exactly two months ago, we launched the first versions of our UA WordPress Themes. These themes provided web designers and developers with easy way to implement our web templates into a CMS.
However, in that time since launch, there have been great advances in functionality for WordPress, namely WordPress 3.0. In anticipation of this launch, Web Communications have been developing a newly unified and dynamic theme to take advantage of some of these features.
The first thing you will notice is that we have managed to reduce the number of themes or folders from 12 to 1. This is a huge step in improving the simplicity of using WordPress for a UA site and installing/choosing a theme.
- UA Theme Options panel
- Dynamically generated navigation theme
- Navigation menu creation directly within WordPress
- Widget capable sidebars
- Selectable content layout within WordPress
UA Theme Options panel
Probably one of the most noticeable differences with this theme is the addition of a UA Theme Options panel. Thanks to an open source framework for creating theme options WordPress users with admin rights will be able to control major design aspects of their theme without ever touching the code. Such theme options include:
- Search box in header: select whether or not to include the search box in the header
- Navigation type: controls the type of horizontal navigation you want (one level, two level, or none)
- Content layout: controls the layout of your content and sidebar locationBy configuring these options, you will be able to create all the variations of our original UA Web Templates. Once you save these options, you will be able to instantly preview the live site and view the changes.
With WordPress 3.0, we were able to include the new Menus feature into our theme. You are now able to create and manage your primary, secondary, sidebar, and footer navigation all within the WordPress admin.
The UA WordPress Theme now supports widgets in the sidebar. Each UA “linksbox” style is included to give you the greatest number of options to uniquely style your site.
I believe that this theme will allow the average user to easily make their site unique while still conforming to the UA look and feel. In some respects, we are taking the “design” out of the hands of the coder and into the hands of the user. Needless to say, I think this is a huge step forward. Detailed tutorials on many of the new features of the UA WordPress Theme will follow in the coming weeks.
For more detailed information on the UA WordPress Theme, please read our WordPress guide on WebGuide.
Go here to download the new UA WordPress Theme.
As always, comments and feedback are welcome.